The top was in pretty bad shape so I sanded for a very long time. I tried to get it down to the original wood, but gave up pretty quickly (it was at least one hundred degrees and I was sweating all over the end tables!). The top still felt a little chippy, so I painted a thin layer of Kilz on top to seal it and hide the imperfections. I didn't Kilz the entire piece because that makes it almost impossible to distress!
I knew that I wanted to do something a little funky with these, but I didn't really know what that would be. I decided to go for it, and see what happened along the way (I love doing that!). I had some leftover spray paint from a project long ago, so I decided to use it up. However, I usually use my paint sprayer because I have more control over the paint and it goes on more consistently. I spray painted the drawers (thinking that I would just spray the parts that I wanted to distress) but in the end I actually liked what the drawers looked like!
I also spray painted the end tables in all of the areas that I wanted to distress (so the blue would shine through).
For the final coats, I pulled out my handy-dandy paint sprayer. Since the drawers and distressing were so bold (and lovely!) I decided to go with a soft white.
I sprayed the knobs, distressed the edges, and put a layer of polycrylic on top. Now they are funky, bold and oh-so-beautiful!