We used wood filler (that stuff is magical!) and a putty knife to keep the contour of the drawer true to its original form. This took several applications and we gently sanded after each one.
We knew we were going to paint the piece a French Grey, so we used Kilz on the drawers to help hide any lingering imperfections.
It took two coats of paint (and several trips of running inside the house to avoid raindrops) to fully cover the piece.
We experimented with a couple of glazes for the final touch. The first one was craft paint mixed with tintable glaze which ended up looking more blue than black. Then we used the same glaze with a latex black paint and it helped add a new dimension to the texture. Jere was very happy with the end result (at least he pretended to be!) and now it is sitting beautifully in his booth!
The knobs were recycled from our "Thinking Outside the Paint" dresser! I love when that happens!