Through all of the excitement I didn't REALLY inspect the piece until after I had swiped the credit card and loaded it into the truck. It was then that I noticed a few minor problems that I would have to tackle. The top looked like someone used it as a cutting board for years, and it was going to be harder to replace the knobs than I originally thought.
I wood-filled the top and scrubbed the piece from top to bottom. I didn't like the look of the middle drawers, so I decided to cover them with paintable wallpaper. This would fix two problems. 1) It would give a more modern look to the piece and 2) It would allow me to drill new holes for the knobs so I could use two instead of three.
I used 3M Hi-Strength Adhesive on the drawers and on the back of the wallpaper to make sure it would NEVER come off of the piece.
Then I painted all of the areas that I knew I would distress light blue so that the blue shined through instead of the dark wood.
I painted the whole thing a bluish-gray color, distressed the edges, changed the knobs, put a layer of polycrylic on top, and
(Drum Roll, Please....)
Here is the glamorous after...
We put this one in The Sleepy Poet on Sunday morning and it was gone by Sunday evening! I was a little sad to see it go, but very inspired to do another one like this in the future! More of our weekend projects will be added throughout the week, so keep checking back!
This post was featured!! Check it out!