I brushed the entire piece with "Weathered Crackle Paint" and let it do its thing for about two hours.
While I waited, I went to Lowe's, bought a piece of plywood (for $10.00), and watched them cut it to the correct size. When I got home, I sanded it and filled in some of the imperfections with wood filler.
I primed the plywood... (again... Kilz is fantastic!)
and painted 3 layers of chalkboard paint on top.
While the chalkboard paint was drying, I sprayed the piece a soft white. Crackles started showing immediately! (How cool!!)
I put the whole thing together and plan to take it to Sleepy Poet this weekend! I think that it would look great in a kitchen or in a little girl's room... (Pardon my messy handwriting! I've been out of the classroom for a while!)