Monday, August 1, 2011

From Rust to Rustically Fabulous

I found this table at a cute antique store in Churchville, Virginia.  It was sitting outside and appeared to be totally ignored and unloved.  As you can see, it was in terrible shape and needed quite a bit of attention.  The whole thing was metal (minus the enamel top).  Paint was chipping and rust was growing at an alarming rate.  I completed another enamel table not too long ago (Everything's Better Red), and I wanted to see what I could do with this one! 


When I flipped it upside down, I noticed that it had an unusual marking underneath...


I sanded the entire piece and covered it with Kilz.


I decided to use spray paint instead of my normal spray gun method.  I thought that it would stick to the metal more effectively and I was trying to make less of a mess (in hopes that we would have a second showing on our house!).  I forgot to take a lot of "during" pictures because the heat was clouding my brain.  When I brought the piece inside, I noticed how awful the drawer was!  It was also made out of metal and was rusty and peeling like the rest of the piece.  I used paintable wallpaper to match the outside and cover some of the imperfections.


Here is the FABULOUS "after" 


Other fun things that happened today...  I was featured on Better After!  I have met so many great bloggers this summer, and I am enjoying reading about all of the wonderful transformations that are happening in other homes!  Also, thanks to all of my wonderful followers out there!  I am up to 49!!  I look forward to sharing many more projects with you this week!

Happy Junkin'!

Sarah

4 comments:

  1. That is so gorgeous! I think this is one of my favorite pieces of yours so far! Are you taking it to the Sleepy Poet today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome shade of blue. This would also make a great desk for a small corner office area. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative. Don't you just love breathing life back into relics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job transforming the desk, well done! Thanks for stopping by Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays and adding your link.

    ReplyDelete