Monday, August 15, 2011

Pop of Color

Adding color in unexpected places makes an ordinary piece of furniture EXTRAordinary!  You all know how much I love turquoise and I would paint every piece that color if Mr. Dump would let me.  The shelves pictured below were dark and uninteresting when I bought them.  They were in desperate need of a makeover to show off all of the beautiful accents on the bottom.



I was so excited about this piece that I forgot to take a lot of "in between" pictures!  I painted the inside turquoise, and the outside a soft white.  Then I distressed the edges and now it is absolutely perfect!  If you want to show off the great details on a piece, white is the perfect solution!


On a different note, I went back to school today for the first time in two months.  With all of the fun that I've been having this summer with Dumped and Discovered, I wasn't sure how I would feel about going back... As soon as I walked into my classroom, my uncertainty turned into pure joy.  I have the best job in the world and I cannot wait for a wonderful year!  Don't get me wrong... I am going to miss painting everyday, but teaching is what I am meant to do.  Have a wonderful week doing the things that you love.

Happy Junkin'!

Sarah

16 comments:

  1. Love it! Yay for going back to school, it's great that you love it that much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't know me and I don't know you. But I love your blog. It's the perfect inspiration to have with my morning coffee. Just wished I had more time to paint and dumpster dive! Keep it up! Love everything you find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you have been infected with Turquoise-itis! I love this piece and can't believe how beautifully it turned out! And I'm so happy that you love teaching so much - but I'm sad that Summer Sarah is gone and we won't be able to paint as much! Any way you can put those 4th graders to work on a few sanders? Your garage could be a field trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice redo. I think I read somewhere that you were a teacher (I must have forgotten).

    Even though I don't have a child in school any longer (she graduated this year, and doesn't know if she'll do collage) THANK YOU from me a a PARENT for doing such a great job- ALL of your efforts are appreciated if you are a teacher.

    (Yes, I thank police men, military folks etc when I see them in the street too)


    Visiting from Bunny Jean's Bunny Hop Linky Party,
    Smiles,
    Suzanne in IL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I MISS MRS. STRESSED!!! Where are you? Can't you whip out a can of spray paint and entertain us???? (Kidding. Kind of.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful and inspiring. I love turquoise and the white just make it pop. Beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this!! The turquoise and white are so pretty together. And I agree, I think really detailed stuff always looks best in white. Even something that started out looking overly ornate in a wood tone, just looks pretty and fresh in white. Love it!!! I hope you're having a wonderful time back at school!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cabinet color - AND the new look of your website/blog... Keep up the great work guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is beautiful! The turqoise and white did so much for that cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent color choice!.......of course I'm addicted to turquoise too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this came out great! Perfect pop of color. Happy New Year!
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

    ReplyDelete
  12. That color sure makes it pop and stand out. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks fantastic! I love the blue on the inside! Stopping by from DIY Showoff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this! Soo pretty with the turquoise inside.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm here again--- a couple of months later-
    this time from Coastal Charm: Nifty Thrifty Tues Linky party!

    Thanks for sharing :D
    Smiles, Suzanne at WhyCuzICan

    ReplyDelete