Sunday, September 30, 2012

Chicken Wire Hutch

Life is hectic.  I mean H-E-C-T-I-C.  As you all know, I am a teacher in my normal life and a DIY furniture upcycler in my fantasy life.  I started school 5 weeks ago and it has been the hardest start in my teaching career.  I decided to loop with my class this year which ended up being a really good decision.  However, learning a new curriculum and adjusting to all the newness that this year has brought has been difficult.  Now my weekends are spent lesson planning, grading papers, emailing parents, (the list goes on and on...) - and NOT restoring furniture.  I hope all of that is about to change.  Mr. Dump and I are off to buy a new sprayer and I am ready to make time for my second passion.  Since it has been 2 months since my last post (please forgive me...), I'm bringing you a project that is large and in charge!  Take a look at this beauty...


Seriously... Can you say 1970s???  This piece was outdated, boring, and needed a makeover in the worst possible way.


We took all of the hardware off and removed the terrible glass. 


It was a rainy day so we put blankets down in the kitchen (Sorry, Mom! That's what happens when you move out!) and painted away.  It was a tight space, so Mr. Dump and I were constantly fighting over paint brushes, Cool-Whip containers of paint, and room!



This is what it looked like before I started playing with stain.


Take a look at the cabinet doors below...  The one on the top has a layer of stain and the one on the bottom doesn't.  Luckily, I liked the texture that the stain provided, so I decided to stain the entire piece.  We used stain that had polycrylic mixed in, and it provided a really nice protective coat.  Finally, I added cute red knobs, chicken wire, and put the piece back together!


Here is what the top looks like...


And this is the final transformation!


Random question...  If I start a weekly linky party, would any of you link up your projects?  Thoughts?  Suggestions?

As always...

Happy Junkin'!

Sarah

31 comments:

  1. That looks so lovely! I think the yellow is just so happy looking, so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece turned out just great! LOVE the addition of chicken wire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Happy yellow! And, yes, you should start a party!! Visiting from Meet Me Monday. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House which goes live at 8am CST on Monday. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turned out wonderful with the chicken wire! I don't know how to do the linky thing but if I figure it out and have something the share I would.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, gorgeous hutch - I adore the chix wire and the sweet color!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! You did such a great job! Thanks so much for linking up to Made With Love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL - as soon as I read that you guys removed the glass I thought to myself: if it was mine I would use chicken wire to replace the glass! I was thrilled when I kept reading and found out you did! This piece turned out great! I love the color and overall look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this ! Anything that can be repurposed, especially using chicken wire is right up my alley. Please, please come share this post on my Farm Girl Blog Fest: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/09/farm-girl-friday-blog-fest-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic transformation! Love it! I'm your newest follower :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I just love this!!!
    Yes - start a party - ( I'm thinking of starting one too! )
    Hugs
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is awesome! i love the stain over the yellow, it looks so cool and i love when i see hutches with the wire instead of glass! awesome revamp!

    I'm your newest follow and can't wait to see more from you!

    <3 Bethany @ The Sepia Puppy
    (http://thesepiapuppy.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it, what a difference. The chicken wire definitely makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad that I'm following you! Your hutch looks great. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome work:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jeez Louise - When I posted, you lost a follower and I only got comments from your sweet husband. When you posted, you gained 5 followers and a slew of comments from people not related to us! Amazing! I think you're the designated superstar here. I love the hutch and love even more that you painted it inside the house! Way to live dangerously!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's fabulous! would love to see it in real life.
    Linky party?
    I would link up....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! Your work inspires me... and I'd love to party with you! ~Monica

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVELY! what a neat transformation! If you start up a linky party - make sure and let me know and I'll add it to my linky party page!
    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, new follower here! What an amazing transformation! LOVE the chicken wire touch! :)
    I would love to have you link up with my Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/09/clever-chicks-blog-hop-2-featured-post.html

    I hope to see you there!
    Cheers!
    Kathy
    The Chicken Chick

    PS: I would TOTALLY link-up to a party you host! I've got a few dump and discover posts up my sleeve too! SUCH fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fantastic transformation. Love that yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. Love love love the chicken wire. Very nice! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE this makeover!! Its beautiful!!

    I am a new follower & I hope you follow me back!
    couponcalimom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love what you have done with the dresser

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your hutch! The stain techique is my favorite. It makes drab projects so fab! I'm going to finish my own cabinate with chicken wire soon. Glad to see a success story! Can't wait to link it up to your party ;)
    p.s.
    newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is a HUGE difference-- it's like it isn't even the same hutch! I love it!

    I am working on a dresser-to-desk DIY at the moment and I'm so anxious to get it finished! A link party would be fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. You did an amazing job! Love the added chicken wire. Thanks for sharing at All Things Pretty!Leather Button Beds

    ReplyDelete