That's a terrible segue into this sweet lady... There is no drama here... Only a much needed makeover!
I found her at an estate sale in Charlotte, and she needed quite a bit of work. The top had a layer of peeling veneer that had to be taken off.
I used a hammer and a putty knife to pry it off. This took quite a bit of work, but it was totally worth it in the end.
The top still had several blemishes so I had to cover most of the top with wood filler. I go a little crazy with this stuff. It reminds me of my pre-school days of finger painting. It was everywhere!
I planned to distress the piece, but I didn't want the light wood to shine through. So... I painted all of the places where I thought I would distress with white paint.
I even did this on the drawers...
I painted the whole piece black, but didn't like the way it looked when I started to distress it.
Sooo... I mixed up my own chalk paint with a tablespoon of unsanded grout and a
Cool Whip container of latex paint. (Sorry for making fun of you, Mom, for saving them for all those years!) Then, I slapped two coats on the piece.
While the paint was drying, I spray painted the hardware to give it an updated look.
This is what she looked like before I distressed her...
And here she is patiently waiting in the Sleepy Poet for a new home...
On a more serious note... Thank you so much for your sweet comments and support during the LHJ feature! You have all been so incredible during this surreal time in my life!
Linking up to: