Sunday, April 8, 2012

T-H-I-R-T-Y

Spring Break Work is over.  Turns out you can work just as hard during Spring Break as you do during the days school is in session!  My sister and I employed the newly-minted "Grab It and Paint It" method of furniture renovation this week, and, boy, was there ever some paint slingin' goin' on!  We each had a sprayer and we did not waste any time.  Instead of deliberating on each piece of furniture and having endless discussions about what color/finish/detailing would be optimal for each one, we just went for it.  And it was successful!  We painted 30, yes 30, pieces of furniture, and countless accessories between Sunday and Thursday.  Most days, we were painting by 8:30 a.m. (much earlier than my sister wanted to start) and Mr. Dump had to drag us inside for dinner every night at 7 p.m.)  We barely took lunch breaks and didn't watch one minute of trashy daytime television - if you had told me a couple of years ago that I would work this hard on my breaks, I would have said you were crazy!  On Friday, we spent most of the day pricing and moving the newly finished pieces to The Sleepy Poet, and we shopped to fill the almost-empty garage on Saturday and Sunday.  We're exhausted!

Cheering us on through these marathon days was our unofficial mascot - a giant painting of Hank Williams, Jr. that we found in the garage.  Turns out, when you shove a garage full of stuff and forget completely what is in there for six months or so, Hank shows up!  (This is not an endorsement of Hank or his music - he was a freebie during a furniture swap.)  Don't judge us!


The word of the week was "funky" (as in, "Should we paint this gray or be funky?"  "Definitely funky!!") and we chose some wild colors!  It's Spring at last for Dumped and Discovered!  Take a look at all the turquoise, green, and "raspberry" going on in my "Warehouse" below!



Yes, that is the dining room that we slaved over a few weeks ago, now remodeled again into a storage facility for the prettiest furniture you've ever seen, if I do say so myself.  We took THREE carloads of stuff to the Poet (one of the "cars" is a truck, another is an SUV and the third is my sister's magical Honda that holds more than the other two combined, she swears).  All of the furniture in the Warehouse is awaiting its trip to the Poet, and this is the first time I've been this far ahead since we started this endeavor.  I'm loving it!

Here's a picture of the goodies that made the trip to the Poet this week - you'll be hearing more about individual pieces as soon as I get some energy to tell you about them!  For now, we're heading to bed at 9:30 p.m. for the seventh night in a row.  We were party animals this Spring Break!


Happy Junkin'!

Sarah

18 comments:

  1. Such fun colors! Being a curb shopper myself, I always enjoy checking out what you and Mr Dump are up to. Keep it up!
    Tami @ Curb Alert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 30 pieces?! Oh man, I need me a sister! They all look awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg - My sister is AMAZING! We had so much fun together and I could not have done it without her! Sisters are the BEST!

      Delete
  3. You party animals!! You really painted the town on your spring break!I LOVE watching you turn unwanted pieces into something I would fight for! I can't wait to see more on these beautiful pieces:) Thanks for sharing and go take a nap!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! After a day with fourth graders, I REALLY need a nap! Now I'm wondering which one took the most energy - painting or teaching?!?!

      Delete
  4. Looks like an Easter assortment of furniture. I find the Hank painting a great conversation piece as well. Hank surrounded by pastels, how funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! This made me laugh out loud! I might need to wipe the cobwebs off of Hank and bring him inside! :-)

      Delete
  5. I think Hank is hilariously funny. I think I might hang him in a place of honor in my, umm, garage!
    Wow, that's a great assortment of your painted furniture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know about you, Sarah, but I'm still tired! It was a fantastic week and I don't mind at all that my hand is still shaking from all the sanding! I still wish we could have really cleared EVERYTHING out of the garage, but I guess there's the summer break for that, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love the bright colors! Y'all painted up a storm! Congrats on all the completed restyles!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog, and I like it! I am your newest follower ;)

    Shauna
    www.ShaunaWyrick.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What happened to the Dumps??? I miss you guys! I didn't sand my fingers off to get one measly post! I'm kidding - I know you're running around like chickens with your heads cut off, but your adoring public misses you! Also, if you would kindly explain to your elderly sister what the difference is between "following" your blog and being a "member?" I am falling down on supporting you guys, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could I have a little more raspberry? That's my fav spring color. I think I need to paint a little stool for the porch in raspberry. I don't have a little stool. Bet you have one in your stuff!

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH wow! Thirty pieces - great work. I don't think I could get past one :-) Love all the colours you've used.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um, seriously. I was there, I know how tired we were after finishing those 30 pieces, but you've had a few weeks to rest and WE NEED A BLOG POST! I know, I know. Your 4th graders have THE MOST IMPORTANT TEST OF THEIR YOUNG LIVES in a couple of weeks, but really? Aren't we more important than that? Kidding. Just know that we miss you. And don't tell me you don't have material for more blog posts, girl. You have blog material coming out of your ears.

    ReplyDelete
  13. YOUR BLOG IS SO MUCH FUN. I just found it . . . and I'm excited and pleased that I did. You certainly came up with a great title, too. I am your newest follower, and I would love to take a minute and send you a warm and humble invitation to visit and hopefully to follow my blog, too. Looking very forward to hearing from you, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Sarah, and I am proud to say that I am the new owner of one of your babies! The gray hutch shown in the picture above (in Sleepy Poet) now graces our foyer. It's filled with our wedding cake stands and black and white photographs of grandparents on their wedding day.

    You can see it close to the bottom of this post: http://alizadventures.blogspot.com/2012/05/weekend-bulleted.html

    Keep up the great work! (And I think a bunch of my Supper Club girlfriends work with you ... Marla, Whitney, Mandy?)

    ReplyDelete